Deadline: November 27, 2022
Applications are open for the Yenching Academy at Peking University 2023 – Full Scholarship for Master’s Study in China. The Yenching Academy of Peking University aims to build bridges between China and the rest of the world through this interdisciplinary master’s programme in China Studies.
This initiative brings together young people who have demonstrated a talent for leadership and innovation. At Yenching, they are immersed in an intensive learning environment where they can explore China and its role in the world—past, present, and future. The Academy’s goal is to shape new generations of global citizens with a nuanced understanding of China.
The Yenching Academy provides full fellowships to its scholars, and offers them a wide array of interdisciplinary courses on China within broadly defined fields of the humanities and social sciences. Working closely with their academic mentors, Yenching Scholars create their own study paths by choosing courses from six research areas. They participate in a variety of extracurricular activities and field studies, organized by the Yenching Academy, and designed by scholars themselves. Studying at the Academy is an exceptional opportunity to take part in intercultural exchanges and interdisciplinary learning, developing both personally and professionally.
The Yenching Academy provides a generous fellowship to all scholars, including:
- Tuition fees
- Monthly stipend
- One round-trip travel fare
- Field study costs
The Yenching Academy annually enrolls approximately 120 new students from both the Chinese Mainland and abroad, to study, live, and learn together. International students comprise roughly 80% of the student body.
Applicants should have:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field; currently enrolled degree program awarded no later than August 31, 2023*;
- An outstanding academic record;
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary study of China;
- A record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement, social responsibility, and leadership potential;
- English proficiency.
*Peking University does not allow students to be enrolled in other degree programs whilst studying at the university.
Candidates may apply through Yenching Academy’s online application portal. Each applicant will create an account on the Yenching Academy admissions portal and submit the following materials in English:
- Completed online application form;
- Personal statement (750 words or less);
- Statement of Research Interest (maximum 1500 words, excluding citations);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Official transcript(s);
- Diploma(s) or Certificate(s) of Enrollment;
- Two academic letters of recommendation;
- English requirements and minimum scores:
- IELTS (Academic): Overall 7.0
- TOEFL (iBT): Overall 100
- Cambridge English Scale (Advanced): Overall 185
- CET 6: Overall 600
- TEM 4: Pass level of “良好” or above
Applicants must note the following:
- Native English speakers and alumni of an English taught degree programme (undergraduate or above) are not required to provide English proficiency test scores.
- TOEFL and IELTS English proficiency tests must be taken after September 1, 2021. Currently, they do not accept TOEFL MyBest Scores, TOEFL iBT Home Edition, or IELTS Indicator test.
- Submission of English scores: For IELTS, TOEFL, and Cambridge tests, they will only accept scores sent directly to them from these organizations. Make sure you choose “Yenching Academy of Peking University” as the designated recipient of your scores when you book the exam time. For TOEFL, use the institution code: C488.
For more information, visit Yenching Academy.