Every year, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) supports students from developing parts of the world study and do research in their region and in partnership with selected German institutions. Interested students of the sub-Saharan African region are here invited to apply for 2023/2024 In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme for Sub-Saharan Africans (West and Central Africa or Southern African region).
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and / or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): DAAD
Scholarship to be taken at: Sub-Saharan Africa
Scholarship Worth: See scholarship value and benefits (below)
Number of Awards: Not Stated
Study Level: Postgraduate (Masters and PhD)
Nationality: Sub-Saharan Africans (see eligibility criteria below)
DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship 2023 | Eligibility Criteria
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa
- with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or
- with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme
- who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
The selection process differs between the individual degree programmes. Please see the call for applications for further information.
Usually, the application procedure follows a two-step process.
- First, applicants submit their scholarship application to the host institution.
- After a pre-selection has been conducted, shortlisted applicants will be asked to submit their application again via the DAAD portal for the final selection.
- Please note that the application procedure may differ between the regions and host institutions.
- The specific application instructions regarding each host institution are listed in the respective calls for applications (see full information at the official website, link provided below).
Scholarship Value and Benefits
Generally, scholarship beneficiaries will get;
- Monthly allowance
- Study and research allowance
- Printing allowance
- Tuition fees
Only applicable for In-Region scholarship holders:
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
Duration of funding
Funding is provided for the usual duration of a course – generally, up to two years for Masters and up to three years for the PhD degree programmes
How-to-Apply: To apply for the DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme 2023, you will visit the official scholarship application page through the link provided below and find the list of degree programmes funded within this scholarship programme in the regions West and Central Africa, Eastern Africa and Southern Africa, including the links to the respective calls for applications.
Application Deadline: Varies by Host Institutions
Visit the Official Website for Further Details