Deadline: October 21, 2022
Applications are open to join the UN Women Africa Youth Steering Committee. In the spirit of accelerating more comprehensive inter-generational dialogues, knowledge generation and sharing guided by the 2030 Agenda and Generation Equality Forum, UN Women East and Southern Africa region is looking for 9 members on voluntary basis for the Youth Steering Committee. The successful members should dedicate at least two hours every quarter for consultations and meetings.
The membership of the Steering Committee will include:
- Diverse young girls, boys, women, and men between the ages of 15-35 segmented into three clusters (15-24, 25-29,30-35).
- Young women and men with a record of accomplishments on programmes and advocacy initiatives related to gender equality and young women and men’s engagement work in their countries and the East and Southern Africa region.
- Young people from the East and Southern Africa region.
- Young people representing diverse backgrounds and experiences, including groups less represented in other UN platforms and fora.
Role of the Steering Committee
The Committee has the primary role of advising the RO and Regional Youth Engagement specialist(s)/Focal Points based in-country offices on strategies to meaningfully engage young people and outreach activities related to the focus areas of the Youth Engagement Strategy. The duties and responsibilities of the Steering Committee shall include:
- Provide strategic input to RO programming, ensuring it integrates the interests of young people in various contexts;
- Advise the RO and weigh in on the design of youth-specific initiatives as set out in the SN 2022-25 and the Regional Youth Engagement Strategy, e.g., related to CSW, Generation Equality regional or country activities; planned research or knowledge products; background documents for key inter-governmental processes;
- Contribute to the shaping of events by providing information on potential panelists, speakers and moderators for UN Women ESA or global youth-related events;
- Participate in UN Women events when requested to ensure that this meaningfully centers and reflects on young women and men’s gender equality agenda.
- Develop a joint communique- outcome documents resulting from various workshops and consultations.
- Provide other inputs into the background papers and processes as may be required by the RO.
- Open to youth between 15-35 years old.
- Must have good gender awareness and commit to the values of UN Women, including respect for all women and girls.
- Youth with a track record of engagement in youth development and empowerment focused on inclusive economic growth, employment, and entrepreneurship; engagement in governance/political participation, leadership and decision making; or preventing violence and other harmful practices against women and girls.
- Should have some understanding of or interest in development issues, including awareness of and participation in development issues affecting young people. Knowledge of SDGs is appreciated but not a mandatory nomination criterion.
- Interested in policy and programming interventions, governance, gender equality and women’s empowerment should be prioritized.
- Must be persons of integrity and have a good standing in their communities.
- Young people passionate about making Africa better by working with others to ensure that various gender inequalities are eliminated and the rights of women and girls to live full lives are fulfilled.
- The position is on a voluntary basis, and selected members should be available to dedicate at least 2 hours every quarter for the consultations and meetings.
- The selection should consider gender balance and representation based on geography, age and disability. UN Women will take measures to ensure that group members can participate meaningfully and actively in this role.
The survey will take approximately 6 minutes to complete. Please submit your Application Form no later than October 21, 2022.
For more information, visit UN Women Africa.