The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is inviting applications for its 2023 Economist Program beginning in September 2023, at its Washington D.C. headquarters. Applicants who are passionate about developing their career path in the field of Economics are encouraged to apply.
The Economist Program is a three-year program consisting of two 18-month assignments aimed at talented, recent PhD graduates who are excited by the opportunity to gain operational experience and further develop their macroeconomics expertise.
International Monetary Fund Economist Program 2023 | DETAILS
Participants in the Economist Program will apply their studies and research to policy work that impacts the 190 member countries and join a team of staff working to address the key global economic challenges. Participants will travel to countries and join team of staff working to address the key global economic challenges. Participants gain broad experience in regional and country-specific issues, as well as in fiscal, monetary, balance of payments, debt, or other related issues and contribute to analytical work. Participants will also be be involved in a range of training and development activities and will be mentored, guided and supported by seasoned economists, all with a view of ensuring a satisfying and exciting start to their career at the IMF.
To be considered for the International Monetary Fund Economist Program 2023, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Have recently completed or are expected to complete a PhD within a year (or less) of joining in fields including macroeconomics, finance, public finance, monetary economics, international economics, trade, poverty issues, political economy, econometrics or related areas.
- Possess an excellent academic record.
- Have validated analytical, quantitative, and IT skills.
- Show an interest in, and aptitude for, working in an international organization, and contributing to economic policy issues.
- Be a national of one the IMF member countries
- Be below age 34 at entry to the program on September 11, 2023.
- Have strong written and oral English skills.
How-to-Apply: Interested applicants for the International Monetary Fund Economist Program 2023 are to complete an online application on or before the application deadline.
The selection process consists of multiple stages, which may run in parallel to one another. Below is a summary of the four key stages:
- If your application is shortlisted, you will be invited to a 30-40-minute preliminary interview during which you will be asked for a high-level overview of your research paper and to respond to questions on economic topics related to the work of the IMF and on your interpersonal and communication skills.
- Following the preliminary interview, you may be asked to forward your most recent university transcript from your PhD program, provide three academic references (references cannot be from current IMF staff members) and submit a research paper (ideally of publishable standard) or one or two chapters of your dissertation.
- Successful candidates this year will be invited for a 60-minute virtual panel interview comprised of two or three senior IMF economists and a Human Resources officer.
- Once the panel interviews have been completed (normally by late January), all candidates who reached the panel interview stage will be referred to an internal committee of senior staff for review and this committee will make the final selection.
Application Deadline: Not specified
Visit the Official Website for Further Details