Deadline: August 25, 2022
Application are open for the Institute for Advanced Study at Central European University (IAS CEU) Junior and Senior Core Fellowships 2023/2024. Fellowships are available in all research areas of the social sciences and humanities, broadly defined.
Fellowships run for the full 9 month period (October – June), for the 3-month short fall semester (October – December), the 5-month fall semester (October – February) or the 6-month spring semester (January – June).
Each year, IAS CEU selects some twenty fellows for its fellowship programs. Fellows are chosen through a rigorous selection process, which includes stages of pre-selection and peer reviews as well as a final decision made by an independent, interdisciplinary, and international Academic Advisory Board. The Institute is committed to the pursuit of cutting-edge interdisciplinary scholarship and will seek innovative research proposals. Young scholars with demonstrable promise of excellence will be considered; established senior scholars are expected to have solid records of first-rate scholarship.
- Senior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of 2,600 Euros and junior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of 1,500 Euros to help support their stay in Budapest. In addition, all fellows and their families receive housing at the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse
- Utilities at the Guesthouse will be charged to the Fellows. Fellows are also responsible for their own travel and health care provisions.
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent in the social sciences or humanities at the time of their application.
- Only those with publications in internationally recognized scholarly outlets will be considered.
- Junior fellows must have obtained a Ph.D. degree issued in 2015 or later and must apply for the junior fellowship. Candidates who obtained their Ph.D. before 2015 are considered “senior” and must apply for the senior fellowship.
- Full time CEU employees and students are not eligible to apply for 5 years after the end of their studies/contract (degrees must have been received and contracts must have ended by December 31, 2017 or earlier).
- Part-time/temporary employees of CEU are not eligible for 1 year after their contract ends (their contract must have ended by December 31, 2021 or earlier).
- Former fellows of IAS CEU are not eligible to apply again for a period of 7 years. Applications at an earlier stage may be considered only in exceptional cases.
- Reapplication is possible only 3 times within a period of 5 years.
- Applicants are expected to be able to communicate fluently in English as this is the working language of the Institute and CEU.
Step 1: Prepare your application package: create a single pdf file no larger than 12 MBs containing all your application documents. The name of the pdf file should contain your name and the type of fellowship you are applying to. Example: Doe, Jane_Junior Core Application.pdf or Doe, John_Botstiber Application.pdf.
Your application package should contain the following documents. Only applications using the requested format and word counts will be considered for review:
- A letter of intent (max 1,500 words)
- The abstract of your research project (max. 150 words)
- A description of your research project (min. 1,000 – max. 2,500 words; the reference list is not included in the word count)
- A CV (max. 5 pages)
- A list of your most important publications, including up to 5 items for junior applicants and up to 15 items for senior applicants.
- References: for junior applicants ONLY: the name and email address of two referees (for potential reference).
Step 2: Fill the application form
Step 3: As a final step, upload your application package (pdf file), and submit your application.
Note that you cannot save your work and continue filling in the form at a later time, so you are asked to submit your application when you have all information and materials ready! Incomplete forms, or applications submitted in any other way than what is described in this Call will not be considered.
For more information, visit IAS CEU Fellowships.