Deadline: October 1, 2022
Applications are open for the GEM Ph.D. Engineering & Science Fellowship 2022. The objective of this programme is to offer doctoral fellowships to underrepresented minority students who have either completed, are currently enrolled in a master’s in engineering programme, or received admittance into a PhD programme directly from a bachelor’s degree programme.
Fellowships may be used at any participating GEM Member University where the GEM Fellow is admitted. Note that University / Associate Fellows are nominated by the University, not selected by the applicant.
During the first academic year of being awarded the GEM Fellowship, the GEM Consortium remits a stipend and a cost of instruction grant to the institution where the fellow is enrolled. Thereafter, up to the fifth year of the doctoral program, continued financial support of the GEM Fellow is borne by the GEM University through alternative sources of funding such as institutional awards, assistantships or other external fellowships. Continued support from the GEM University will be contingent upon the GEM Fellow remaining in good academic standing and making satisfactory progress in their graduate program. Fellows are provided a paid graduate level summer work experience through the Employer Member for at least one summer.
- Employer Fellows
- $16,000 stipend applied to one academic year
- Additional stipend (assistantships, grants, other stipend dollars) support from GEM Member University to bring the stipend amount up to the funding level of other funded PhD students in that department
- A minimum of one paid summer internships with a GEM Employer Member
- Full tuition and fees up to the fifth year of the PhD program
- Associate Fellows
- Full tuition and fees provided by the GEM Member University
- At least $16,000 stipend per year provided by the GEM Member University
- Candidates are targeted for participation who are members of the following under-represented groups in science and engineering as defined by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- American Indian/Native
- African American/Black
- Hispanic American/Latino
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident at time of application.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to take the GRE to qualify for multiple GEM Member University programs. Applicants will be asked to provide test dates and/or GRE scores when available.
Programme Specific Eligibility
- Must be a senior, masters student, or graduate of an accredited engineering or applied science program at the time of application.
- Must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0/4.0.
- Must contractually agree to intern with a GEM Employer member the Summer immediately after sponsorship.
Submit your completed application including uploading your resume, unofficial transcript, and recommenders by October 1. On October 2, GEM will preview your application with GEM Employers for Early Consideration.
For more information, visit GEM Fellowship.
One Comment on “GEM Ph.D. Engineering & Science Fellowship 2022”