Deadline: September 22, 2022
The Research Development Fellowship Programme 2022/2023 of the Africa Research Excellence Fund (AREF) is now accepting applications. The Fellowship intends to assist African researchers who are aspiring leaders and working on significant issues affecting human health in developing their research talents.
The Fellowship offers a three to nine-month placement at a leading research institution in the UK, Europe or Africa, with additional support at your home institution before and after the placement. Successful Fellowships can start between June 2023 and no later than December 2023.
Applicants can ask for a maximum of:
- £22,000 for a Fellowship with a 3-month placement
- £32,000 for a Fellowship with a 6-month placement
- £40,000 for a Fellowship with a 9-month placement
- Open to Early-Career health Researchers (ECR) from Africa who plan to develop their research career in Africa and have the potential to become research leaders.
- Applicants must demonstrate that they have chosen to focus their career on research and are progressing on the pathway to become, but are not fully established as, independent researchers, with the potential to lead research that is original and innovative. This can be demonstrated through their employment, training, research experience and outputs.
- Applicants must be a national of a country in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Applicants need not be resident in Africa at the time of applying, provided that the application is officially supported by an African institution that meets the eligibility criteria for an Employing Organisation and confirms that it intends to employ you locally.
- Applications must be working at least 20% Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) in an active research role; and EITHER
- have guaranteed employment with a legally established research organisation or a university in Sub-Saharan Africa for the duration of the Fellowship, OR
- have guarantee of employment at a centre of research excellence outside Africa and an honorary contract with a legally established research organisation or university in Sub-Saharan Africa for the duration of the Fellowship, with at least 70% of the time based in Africa.
Read the guidance documents carefully before developing your proposal and starting your application. Complete the application forms and upload the forms with supporting documents (using document upload section in PART A of the application form). Applicants can only submit one application per call.
Applicants must complete and submit the following:
- Application Form PART A Summary Information
- Application Form Parts B-F
- Part G of the application form (The Signature Sheet)
- A letter of support from the Host Sponsor
- A letter of support from the Employing Sponsor
- Two chosen publications to demonstrate the applicant’s career history.
- An electronic copy of the applicant’s most recently attained degree certificate, usually the PhD certificate.
For more information, visit AREF Fellowship.