As a country rich in history, culture and hospitality, Greece is a popular destination for tourists but what about education? Greece is ranked in the top 50 on the QS world rankings for Education, which tells you that studying in Greece is worthwhile. Herein, you will get all the necessary information for an MBBS In Greece including Entry Requirements, Free Tuition, Scholarships
Studying in Greece is very affordable when compared to other European countries. Tuition fee for international students from the European Union (EU) is free, however, international students from non-EU countries have to pay a fee or take advantage of the numerous scholarship opportunities to study for free in Greece.
- 1 STUDYING MEDICINE IN GREECE
- 1.1 General Undergraduate Study Entry Requirements
- 1.2 General Graduate Study Entry Requirements
- 1.3 Best Medical Universities in Greece
- 1.4 Scholarships for Medical Study in Greece
- 1.5 Share this:
- 1.6 Related
STUDYING MEDICINE IN GREECE
To study in Greece as an international student, you should either know Greek or be willing to learn it. The primary language used in teaching is Greek; students who are not fluent in Greek will be required to take language courses alongside their course of study.
Ancient Greeks contributed a lot to the field of medicine as we know it today. Same as with other degrees taught in Greece, European Union students can study medicine for free in Greece. Non-European students might be required to pay low-cost to little tuition fees to study medicine in Greece.
General Undergraduate Study Entry Requirements
To gain admission for undergraduate study in Greece, you must write and pass the Greek State Pan-Hellenic Examinations. Applications for Undergraduate studies in Greece are submitted to the Hellenic Ministry of National Education, in July of every year. Applications for EU and Non-EU students applying to study in Greece are different.
Here are the documents that are required from all international applicants:
- Two passport-sized photographs
- A secondary education certificate issued by the appropriate body in your country. Kindly note that when your grades are converted using the Greek grading system, you must score at least 10 points out of 20 to be considered for higher education in Greece. You can do the conversion yourself. First, convert your grades from your country of origin to a US grade using some calculators. Then use this other tool to convert your grade using the Greek grading system.
- Certificates to show your citizenship and origin as well as that of your parents.
- A certificate issued by the necessary educational authority in your country that shows that you qualify for tertiary education,
- A formal statement that shows that you haven’t previously taken higher education studies in Greece nor do you hold a degree from a Greek Tertiary education institution.
- A Greek language certificate showing your Greek proficiency.
- All required documents must be translated to Greek and inspected for authenticity by a Greek diplomatic authority in your country or the translation service belonging to Greece’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
General Graduate Study Entry Requirements
Applications for Master’s degrees and higher studies in Greece are submitted directly to the tertiary institution of your choice. The following checklist will guide you in confirming the requirements for the university of your choice.
You are generally required to provide the following documents to be accepted for a postgraduate degree programme in Greece
- A copy of your bachelors’ degree.
- Personal statement
- Reference letters
- An English Proficiency certificate (For courses taught in English)
Best Medical Universities in Greece
All listed universities offer undergraduate studies in medicine, while some also offer additional graduate programmes in various specializations.
The school of medicine in this university, (National and Kapodistrian University of Athens) is one of Greece’s best schools of medicine. The school of medicine offers two medicine-related postgraduate degrees (in English), namely Nano-medicine and Molecular Medicine.
If you want to study for a medical degree related to nutrition in Greece, Harokopio University is the best option for you. It is a university that pays special attention to human nutrition and dietetics. Harokopio University offers postgraduate degrees in nutrition as well as doctoral programs.
This University’s school of medicine is highly respected in Greece and Worldwide. The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki has over 20 medicine-related postgraduate degrees.
Studying medicine at the University of Ioannina gives you access to acclaimed medical professionals, clinics and labs. The university offers 5 postgraduate programmes and accommodates Doctoral programs as well. The Faculty of Medicine at the University of Ioannina is in collaboration with multiple universities in Asia, Europe and USA.
Located besides Heraklion, the University of Crete owns a well-renowned School of Medicine. The University of Crete has a university teaching hospital where medical students can learn first-hand from real-life situations. The university offers doctoral studies, multiple medicines related postgraduate degrees, some postgraduate degrees are done in collaboration with other universities.
In addition to having a school of medicine the University of Patras has a pharmacy department. The University of Patras prides itself in its ability to produce and equip the next generation of physicians. The school of medicine boasts of a teaching hospital that serves the community around it and provides its students with practical experience. The school of medicine offers undergraduate, graduate and doctoral studies.
Scholarships for Medical Study in Greece
There are several scholarships for international students to study medicine in Greece, and in Europe generally. Notably is the Hellenic Foundation for Research and Innovation(HFRI) scholarships and grants for doctoral and post-doctoral research students of medicine. There are also university scholarships such as that of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki open to both undergraduate and postgraduate students of medicine.
The Fulbright Foundation Scholarships are also available for U.S.A citizens studying in Greece. It covers partial to full tuition fees, monthly stipend and a number of other benefits.