Deadline: July 17, 2022
Applications are open for the Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) 2022 Training for Locally Led Adaptation Practitioners. Global, national, and local efforts to address the climate emergency need to be informed by the struggles, challenges, and triumphs of people at the frontlines. The media can help to bridge the current gap, but how can you “sell” your story to the media?
This opportunity will offer 12 Locally Led Adaptation (LLA) practitioners – changemakers and communicators from local organizations working on locally led adaptation – to train on how to communicate their efforts more clearly; develop clear messages for target audiences; map a communication campaign; understand the use of digital marketing and multimedia tools, and more.
The training will be conducted in parallel with the training for journalists, providing LLA practitioners and journalists an opportunity to hone their skills by practicing with each other.
At the end of the programme, you will be able to:
- Communicate LLA efforts more effectively
- Define and segment audiences for communications
- Develop clear, accessible key messages for target audiences
- Map a communications campaign
- Understand the use of digital marketing and multimedia skills training tools
- Understand the news cycle and how journalists work
- Communicate with the media via day-to-day press relations and crisis management
- Prepare a spokesperson for interviews and presentations
- Practice interview skills
- Interact with journalists using a ‘solutions journalism’ perspective
You will also become part of the GCA’s global network, which will support your efforts to champion locally led adaptation.
- Currently work at an organization working on LLA, and have a minimum of three years of professional experience;
- Have a role, or established interest, in working with the media to amplify local needs and challenges related to climate impacts to a national and global audience;
- Have a high proficiency level of spoken and written English;
- Have access to a minimum internet speed of 8 MB/second;
- Commit to participate for the whole duration of the programme.
Training will take place between 3 August to 1 September 2022. During the week of 12 August, participants will receive one-to-one mentoring and/or participate in masterclasses. In September and October, selected participants will participate in a mentoring programme.
Complete and submit the application form, with three examples of your work (press release, social media campaign, promotional video or materials, interview, etc) that demonstrate your interest in communicating the need for, or experience in, locally-led adaptation.
For more information, visit GCA.