The Africa Centre of Excellence in Coastal Resilience (ACECoR), which was created as part of the World Bank’s Africa Centre of Excellence (ACE) for Development Impact Project and is housed at the University of Cape Coast in Ghana’s Centre for Coastal Management, invites qualified national, regional, and international applicants to its MPhil and PhD degree programs.
The overarching goal of ACECoR is to support the technical capacity development of young African professionals to address issues of coastal degradation, as well as promote the sustainable utilization and management of marine and coastal assets within the sub-region.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Africa Centre of Excellence in Coastal Resilience
Host Institution(s): University of Cape Coast, Ghana
Scholarship Worth: Full scholarship
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: MPhil and PhD degree
Nationality: International Students
DETAILS | ACECoR Applications for MPhil and PhD Programmes
ACECoR will carry out education and research programs in collaboration with academic institutions and industries at the national, regional and international levels to ensure a multi- and interdisciplinary approach to addressing coastal degradation across the sub-region. The specific objectives of ACECoR are to:
- Enhance capabilities of young African scholars in the thematic areas of Coastal Geomorphology and Engineering, Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation, Disaster Risk Management and Migration, Ecosystems and Biodiversity Science and Blue Economy, Governance and Social resilience.
- Provide demand-driven applied research data and innovation for relevant industries and sectors in the above themes.
- Develop regional data support systems on marine and coastal issues. Create multi-sectoral networks for marine and coastal for an integrated approach to resolving coastal degradation in West Africa.
- Provide career development for faculty through an international exchange programme and in-service training.
To be eligible for ACECoR Applications for MPhil and PhD Programmes, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- The ACECoR scholarships are available to all African nationals who meet admission requirements of University of Cape Coast
- Priority will be given to female applicants as well as applicants from West and Central African countries.
- Applicant must demonstrate strong interest in research, development and innovation in science and technology, as well as the ability to work optimally and independently in an international multidisciplinary environment.
- MPhil – The minimum admission requirement for the MPhil programmes is a first degree (Second Class Lower Division or equivalent) in a relevant Social sciences, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Science or Engineering discipline, from a recognized university
- PhD – The minimum admission requirement for the PhD programmes is a two- year master’s degree with research in a relevant Science or Engineering discipline or equivalent qualification from a recognized university
- Applicants for the PhD (Blue Economy, Governance and Social Resilience) programme must:
- Have an MPhil or research MA/M.Ed/MSc/MBA degree in an appropriate field of study from a recognised university; OR
- Have MA/Med/MSc/MBA degree in an appropriate field, with CGPA of 3.5 or better with not more than grade C+. Also, have scored B+ or better in Research Methods course.
How-to-Apply: To be considered for ACECoR Applications for MPhil and PhD Programmes, applicants should apply online. Find more about programme details, available scholarships, and the application process at https://acecoradmissions.ucc.edu.gh.
All candidates must submit the following (indicating the preferred area of research):
- Completed Scholarship Application form
- Certified true copy of academic certificates and transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Statement of Motivation
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (at least one from a former lecturer/supervisor)
- 6. A 3-5-page research proposal in the preferred area of research
Application Deadline: November 15, 2022